Remembering London 7/7 Bombings

Posted by The Skibbereen Eagle | July 7, 2017 0


Twelve  years ago on this day the London 7/7 Bombings brought death and carnage to London’s transport system on the day after the capital had celebrated winning the 2012 Olympics.

The attacks by four suicide bombers on the London Transport system on 7th July 2005 were the largest mass murder in Britain in peacetime killing 52 passengers on The Tube and on the No. 30 bus at Tavistock Square and injuring 800 more, many seriously. These innocent victims going about their daily business in this diverse and tolerant city had their lives destroyed by hate . londonblasts

It is strange how time moves on and people learn to cope with pain they should never be asked to cope with. I worked for London Underground at the time of the 7/7 bombings where 52 people were killed and over 700 injured (many life changing). In those days we had a pager and just after 9 I received details of “power failures.” First one, then a second and a third. We checked the reports and from our experience monitoring the Underground and the reports of smoke, ambulances etc; quickly realised that there was a major incident but did not know yet it was a bombing, let alone a suicide bombing. Only afterwards it was established that at 8:49 am, three bombs were detonated on board London Underground trains within fifty seconds of each other: The first between Liverpool Street and Aldgate on the Circle Line: The second also on the Circle Line at Edgware Road and the last and most deadly on a southbound Piccadilly Line train in the deep tube between King’s Cross-St. Pancras and Russell Square.


At 9.47 we were in London Underground’s HQ at 55, Broadway with the office windows open when we heard a deep thud. I had been close to the car bombs which went off in Dublin in 1974 and the sound never left me, I knew immediately this was a bomb. Later we knew this was the bomb on the bus at Tavistock Square where the suicide bomber could not get into the Tube as the system had quickly been closed down. Sadly, many people on that crowded bus had also boarded it as an alternative way of getting to work as The Tube closed down. For the rest of the day rumours swirled around with the BBC reporting seven bombings at one stage. Late that evening I walked across London to Marylebone to get a train home and every face on the way looked nervous.

The 5th anniversary of the 7/7 bombings A injured victim outside Edgware Road station after the terrorist attack that halted London's transport system, injured and killed many commuters London, England - 07.07.05 Credit: (Mandatory) Nigel Hine WENN

Next morning Tube staff went to work and in personal acts of bravery, opened stations and climbed into train cabs and restored as much of a service as they could. Through the day security alerts and shutdowns continued and then dramatic news came through that the Police had shot a “terrorist” on the Tube. Turned out they had callously killed a Brazilian electrician going to work based on no real identification at all. I was involved in various ways with the aftermath including manning barriers and reassuring the public for the week afterwards. I had numerous dealings with survivors and our front line staff who responded to the obscene mass murder. As well as the four bombers, 52 civilians were killed and over 700 more were injured in the attacks. The London 7/7 Bombings were the United Kingdom’s worst terrorist incident since the 1988 Lockerbie bombing  as well as the country’s first ever suicide attack. London and The Tube had changed forever.




bombexpressInjured or not, and serious or not all who lived through the experience carry vivid and unsettling memories. There is a curious obscenity about suicide bombing, about the personal fascism which rationalises killing yourself and complete strangers you have first looked in the eye because you have convinced yourself it is for a greater good. There is a particular perversity, if you have religious faith, in destroying what you believe are God’s creations because you have appointed yourself as God’s representative and indeed have convinced yourself that shortly afterwards you will be personally thanked by Him.

The memorial in Hyde Park to the 52 murdered victims of the London Bombings. Each stelae contains the name of a victim.

Map released by a security consultancy the day after the bombings showing the original estimates of the timings (they were later revised) and the death toll then. More died later in hospital.

The monument to the victims of the bombing in Hyde Park cost nearly £1 million and has 52 stainless steel columns, or stelae, 11.5ft (3.5m) tall. It was unveiled in 2009 at a memorial attended by the Prince of Wales, the then Prime Minister Gordon Brown and other political leaders. london-bombingsmemorial

As Prince Charles said at the opening of the memorial to the 52 victims in Hyde Park their bravery “offered us hope for the future”. He said “the date of the bombings would be etched vividly on all our minds as a brutal intrusion into the lives of thousands of people. The families of the victims, the survivors and the stout hearted emergency services remain very much in our thoughts and prayers. You are a moving example of holding together bravery in the face of such inhuman and deplorable outrage and you offer us hope for the future.”

Mobile photo image of commuters trapped underground on the Piccadilly Line

Since the bombings Digital systems, increased emergency training and more CCTV cameras have been introduced on the network. After the attacks, the radio systems were heavily criticised because emergency teams and Tube workers were unable to talk to each other when they were in the tunnels.

A digital radio system, called Connect, was installed on the entire network in 2008, to replace the old analogue radio and transmission systems. Another digital radio system called Airwave, which uses the same technology as the Connect system, rolled out in 2009, and is used on the Tube by the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) British Transport Police (BTP) and the City of London Police.

As can be imagined many London Underground staff were greatly affected by the bombings, in evacuating members of the public and in having the courage to open stations and drive trains the next day when the happenings of 7/7 were still fresh and still graphic. Arrangements have been made at each of the stations with memorial plaques for bereaved relatives and survivors to pay their respects today and Underground’s staff thoughts remain with those who were killed and those who mourn relatives and friends.

The bombers on CCTV at Luton Railway Station on their way into London on the morning of 7/7


See; London 7/7 Bomb Memorial

These are the ordinary Londoners and visitors whose lives were cruelly destroyed on the 7th July 2005. These are the people who are missed by sons, daughters, fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers and partners of all races and religions. They were innocents going about their everyday lives and represent the diversity and dynamism of this great World City. The bombers looked them in the eye and decided their lives were not important. Londoner’s in their refusal to be cowed by the bombings have effectively said these were important lives, lives that cast a real shadow and count.


King’s Cross bomb

James Adams, 32, a mortgage broker who was travelling from his home in Peterborough to London through King’s Cross from where he called his mother.

Michael Matsushita, 37, left his fiancée, Rosie Cowen, 28, at the couple’s flat in Islington for his second day at work as a tour guide. He had lived in New York at the time of the 9/11 attack.

Samantha Badham, 35, had taken the Tube with her partner, Lee Harris. The couple usually cycled to work but caught the Tube because they were planning a romantic dinner to celebrate their 14th anniversary.

Lee Harris, 30, an architect who died after receiving treatment at the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel, east London. His partner, Samantha Badham, also died in the attacks.

Phil Beer, 22, a hair stylist, was on his way to work at the Sanrizz salon in Knightsbridge with his best friend, Patrick Barnes, who was injured. 

Anna Brandt, 41, a Polish cleaner living in Wood Green. She had 2 daughters.

Ciaran Cassidy, 24, of Upper Holloway, north London, on his way to his job as a shop assistant for a printing company in Chancery Lane. He was a keen Arsenal fan.

Elizabeth Daplyn, 26, an administrator at University College Hospital in London, left home in Highgate with her partner, Rob Brennan, before taking a Piccadilly Line train.

Arthur Edlin Frederick, 60, from Grenada, living in Seven Sisters, north London, on his way to work at the Victoria and Albert Museum.

Karolina Gluck, 29, from Poland, said goodbye to boyfriend, Richard Deer, 28, at 08:30. The IT consultant was travelling from Finsbury Park to Russell Square.

Gamze Günoral, 24, a Turkish student, left her aunt’s house in north London to catch the tube to go to her language college in Hammersmith.

Ojara Ikeagwu, 55, a married mother-of-three from Luton, was on her way to Hounslow where she worked as a social worker.

Emily Jenkins, 24, from Richmond. Having just returned to the UK from Australia, she was waiting to hear whether she had been successful in her application to become a midwife, on the day she was killed.

Adrian Johnson, 37, a keen golfer and hockey-player with two young children. He was on his way to work at the Burberry fashion house in Haymarket where he was a product technical manager. 

Helen Jones, 28, a Scottish (London-based) accountant who had previously escaped death in 1988 when wreckage of Pan Am Flight 103 crashed upon Lockerbie. Her family, from Chapelknowe, Dumfries and Galloway, said: “Helen will live on in the hearts of her family and her many, many friends”.

Susan Levy, 53, from Cuffley in Hertfordshire, the mother of Daniel, 25, and James, 23. She had just said goodbye to her younger son.

Shelley Mather, 26, from New Zealand, a tour manager with Contiki Tours.

Edgware Road

James Mayes, 28, worked as an analyst for the Healthcare Commission and had just returned from a holiday in Prague. He was heading from his home in Barnsbury to an ‘away day’ at Lincoln’s Inn and was thought to be travelling by Tube via King’s Cross.

Behnaz Mozakka, 47, an Iranian biomedical records officer from Finchley who worked at Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital.

Mihaela Otto, 46, from Romania, known as Michelle. A dental technician from Mill Hill, North London.

Atique Sharifi, 24, an Afghan national who was living in Hounslow, Middlesex.

Ihab Slimane, a 24-year-old I.T. graduate from Lyon, France, who was working as a waiter at a restaurant near Piccadilly Circus, was said by friends to have caught a Tube from Finsbury Park.

Christian ‘Njoya’ Small, 28, an advertising salesman from Walthamstow, east London.

Monika Suchocka, 23, originally from Dąbrówka Malborska, in northern Poland, arrived in London two months earlier to start work as a trainee accountant in West Kensington. A flatmate named Kim Phillip said whilst she was still missing: “This is her first time in London and she is really enjoying the excitement of it all”.

Mala Trivedi, 51, from Wembley was manager of the X-ray department at Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital.

Rachelle Chung For Yuen, 27, an accountant from Mill Hill, north London, who was originally from Mauritius.


Michael Stanley Brewster, 52, a father of two who was travelling to work from Derby. He died in the arms of fellow passengers who tried to help.

Jonathan Downey, 34, an HR systems development officer with the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea from Milton Keynes, had just said goodbye to his wife at Euston .

David Foulkes, 22, a media sales worker from Oldham, Greater Manchester, was on his way to meet a colleague. It was his first ever journey on the London Tube network.

Colin Morley, 52, of Finchley, marketing consultant. He was originally from Crosby, Liverpool.

Jenny Nicholson, 24, daughter of a Bristol vicar, who had just started work at a music company in London

Laura Webb, 29, from Islington, a PA. Laura was the youngest of three children.

Aldgate bomb

Lee Baisden, 34, an accountant from Romford who was going to work at the London Fire Brigade.

Benedetta Ciaccia, 30, an Italian-born business analyst from Norwich. One of three sisters, she was due to marry her Muslim partner in a ceremony which was to have joint Catholic and Muslim rites.

Richard Ellery, 21, was travelling from his home in Ipswich to his job in the Jessop’s store in Kensington, via Liverpool Street Station. He texted his parents, Beverley and Trevor, at 8.30am to say he was on his way to work.

Richard Gray, 41, a father of two young children, who worked as a tax manager. He was from Ipswich. At the remembrance service for the victims of the bombings in November 2005, Richard’s daughter, Ruby, was chosen to present a posy to the Queen.

Anne Moffat, 48, from Harlow in Essex, who was head of marketing and communications for Girl guiding UK.

Fiona Stevenson, 29, a solicitor who lived at the Barbican, London. Her parents, Ivan and Eimar, of Little Baddow, Essex, described her as “irreplaceable”.

Carrie Taylor, a 24-year-old graduate from Billericay, Essex. June Taylor, her mother, said: “We have a little farewell ritual. Carrie gives me a kiss goodbye”. The day before the bombings, she had written on the bare plastered wall of her parents kitchen (which was about to be redecorated) ‘Carrie Louise Taylor, 6/7/05, we got the 2012 Olympic Games on this day’.

Tavistock Square bus bomb


Anthony Fatayi-Williams, 26, a Nigerian-born executive with an oil and gas company based in Old Street, had been living in the UK for eight years.

Jamie Gordon, 30, from Enfield, worked for City Asset Management and was engaged to be married to his girlfriend Yvonne Nash.

Giles Hart, 55, a BT engineer from Hornchurch and father-of-two, was travelling to Angel via Aldgate.

Marie Hartley, 34, from Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire, was in London on a course. She was a mother of two young sons.

Miriam Hyman, 32, from Barnet, North London, a picture researcher. She had spoken to her father by phone after being evacuated from King’s Cross station and reassured him that she was all right.

bombjuly-7-london-resolutionShahara Akther Islam, 20, from Plaistow, East London, a bank cashier who lived with her parents, and was both fully Westernised and a devout Muslim. Shahara was of Bangladeshi origin, she was the eldest of three children, her parents having moved from Sylhet, Bangladesh to the UK in 1965.

Neetu Jain, 37, was evacuated from Euston and caught the bus to take her to work as a computer analyst. Ms Jain was planning to move in with her boyfriend, Gous Ali.

Sam Ly, 28, from Melbourne, died at the National Hospital of Neurology – the only fatality of ten Australians caught in the bombing.

Shyanuja Parathasangary, 30, a post office worker travelling from Kensal Rise to Alder Street.

Anat Rosenberg, 39, an Israeli-born charity worker who called her boyfriend to tell him she was on the Number 30 bus moments before the blast. John Falding, 62, her boyfriend, said: “She was afraid of going back to Israel because she was scared of suicide bombings on buses”.

Philip Russell, a 28-year-old finance worker at JP Morgan who lived at Kennington in South-East London.

William Wise, 54, an IT specialist at Equitas Holdings in St Mary Axe.

Gladys Wundowa, 50, from Ilford in Essex, a cleaner at University College London. She had finished her shift and was heading to a college course in Shoreditch. Her body was taken to her homeland of Ghana for burial.


The Skibbereen Eagle

In 1898, to widespread bemusement, a small Provincial Newspaper in an equally small town in the South West corner of Ireland sonorously warned the Czar of Russia that it knew what he was up to and he should be careful how he proceeded for “The Skibbereen Eagle” was wise to his game and in future would be keeping its eye on him! It is doubtful that Nicholas II, Emperor and Autocrat of All the Russias, even noticed the Eagle’s admonitions but as history soon proved he should have paid closer attention to the Eagle’s insightful opinions!

Today, powered by its readers and contributors, from its cyber eyries in Ireland and the centres of the Irish Diaspora The Eagle casts its Cold Eye on Life and Death and much in between.
The Skibbereen Eagle

Latest posts by The Skibbereen Eagle (see all)

Comments are closed.